Landscaper in Seattle improves home in Madrona
Arbors, trellises, and fencing create a more inviting entryway for this home in Madrona, WA.
For visitors to this tree lined and shady Madrona home, finding the front door was
a challenge. Both visitors and homeowners had to duck beneath two large camellias
to access a narrow chain-link gate. Beyond that the front porch was even more understated.
Environmental Construction Landscape Project:
- We removed the chain-link fencing from the perimeter of the yard. To define boundaries
yet create a sense of openness an open layout, a cedar good neighbor fence was built
in select areas.
- To enhance the entry experience, a grand staircase was constructed with sawn bluestone
- Centered on the new staircase is a mortared bluestone porch with cedar arbor above
to direct visitors' attention to the front door.
- A rhythm is created through the garden by repeating materials – dimensional bluestone
set in an ashlar pattern at the entry walk, while random irregular bluestone flagstone
create pathways to other garden rooms.
- Eyebrow trellises above windows and the garage add architectural interest to the
home. They also provide structure for plant vines.
New entryway arbor and fencing add personality to this Madrona home.
Eyebrow trellises (pictured below) add architectural interest and some shade from