Landscaper for Mercer Island stabilizes hillside
Environmental Construction provides expertise in slope stabilization and hillside landscaping for Mercer Island home.
During a mid-autumn rain storm the super saturated soils caused a slope to fail.
After the homeowner cleared the mud away from the walls and windows, Environmental
Construction was called on to rectify the problem. We collaborated with soils and
structural engineers to creatively stabilize the hillside. Terracing was desired
to provide maintenance access to the hillside.
* Referenced in Builder Architect News August 2009
Environmental Construction Landscape Project:
- Limited access necessitated the need for craning materials over the house to the
- Series of temporary chutes were erected to help export saturated soils & slide debris
- After the debris was removed an improved drainage system was installed to direct
both surface and subsurface water away from the house and hillside.
- Engineers reviewed our design for a series of serpentine terraces constructed of
one-forth inch steel welded to 2-foot pipe pilings. Pipe pilings were driven with
90 lb. jack-hammers. The steel face was left un-treated to form a rich patina of
rust before sealing.
- A simple yet elegant palette of plants was used to add to the sculptural effect.
When viewed from inside the home it looks like waves of flame colored ornamental
grasses climbing the hillside.
- A drilled Columbian basalt column fountain is tucked into a lush fern grotto backed
by the steel walls.
We use our heavy equipment to move top soil to the backyard.
Driving pipe pilings into the slope. These will provide support for a landscaping terrace.
Welding the steel walls in preparation for the retaining wall.
Fountain with hillside in the background.
Environmental Construction Inc. is a quality landscaper for Mercer Island and surrounding communities with years of experience in hillside stabilization, drainage control, and fine landscape design. Call us today or request a consultation through our website.