Seattle Landscaper creates more space for Bellevue homeowner
Bellevue, WA hillside home now enjoys a beautifully landscaped perimeter and more
A Bellevue family with two teenage kids nearing driving age wanted to maximize their
usable space. They decided to have a garage built for the additional cars, shop
space for Dad, and loft space above for the kids to hang out away from Mom & Dad.
To make space for the new garage and driveway a decaying timber retaining wall needed
to be removed. The hillside above their home has commanding views of the downtown
Bellevue skyline but limited access. The wall removal and garage excavation allowed
machine access to the hillside and opening a window of opportunity to create several
useable garden spaces.
Environmental Construction Landscape Project:
- Removed rotting timber retaining walls
- Excavated the footings for the garage contractor.
- The driveway was re-aligned and expanded to accommodate additional parking.
- The hillside was re-graded and stabilized with granite outcroppings allowing natural
stone stairs,one-half inch minus crushed gravel pathways, and lush plantings to
be knitted in.
- A terrace was carved into the hillside to create a viewing patio and provide opportunities
for prospect and refuge. Smooth igneous boulders provide retention for the slope
above and double as informal seating for a raised wood burning fire-pit in the center
of the patio.
- Abbotsford Sandstone™ Hydrapressed slabs were sand set to create a courtyard
in the space between the garage and house.
- Diverse plantings were used to maximize privacy yet be sensitive of the neighbor’s
A fire ring, positioned at the viewing terrace, adds recreational enjoyment.
Outcroppings and hillside plantings reduce erosion and provide for a beautiful walkway.